The Ghost and the Graveyard

The Ghost and the Graveyard - Genevieve Jack A Dash of Danger, a Pinch of Excitement, and a Touch of Magic in the Mix

3.75 Stars

First off, I have to say I was immediately taken with the cover art for this novel. Who can resist a woman with a sword, right? Then again, should you resist one? I digress.

The potential in the storyline for this one definitely peaked my curiosity, but there seemed to be some stumbling blocks in the execution. I really liked the concept of cemeteries as gateways and needing guardians and witches to keep the balance. Yes, we all may have seen things like it before, but that doesn’t mean it’s not good ideas. The well-placed moments of humor kept me reading past the rough patches in the storyline.

A quick side note: Grateful should not have been knocking Buffy, she could have taught our little witch a thing or two about handling the supernatural baddies.

Wanted to enjoy this one more than I ended up doing so, which I think was mostly due to moments of irritation with the trio of main characters that took me out of the story. Grateful seemed too easily fooled and manipulated by others, to the point of causing moments of ‘no don’t run up the stairs, go out the front door’ b-movie horror actress frustration syndrome. Also, felt that she spent most of the book thinking with her ‘little brain’ and lead around by her pants. Rick was sexy and dangerous … but I found him too manipulative at times to really fall for the character. However, he left me curious enough to want to know what happens next. I liked Logan most of the time, but just when I would start thinking he was the better man he’d do something that left me irritated with him.

This lusty tale of ghosts and goblins did manage to pack plenty of heated moments for our heroine. On that, it will not disappoint. Though be warned, it definitely felt more the allure of lust than the sparks of love… for now.

I will be continuing the series for at least one more book. Yet if there isn’t more fleshing out of the characters and some explanations to the storyline I might have to abandon the series.